ACA Tax Training Webinar Part II: Advance Certification Topic
Premium Tax Credits
In this webinar, presented on November 2, 2015, Tara Straw, Senior Health Policy Analyst at CBPP, covers the Advanced Certification topic of the premium tax credit (PTC). The PTC provides significant financial assistance to many families who purchased coverage in the health insurance marketplace. The webinar discusses how to calculate the final credit on the tax return and handle some of the common problems taxpayers encountered last year with Form 1095-A.
This is the second session in a webinar series “ACA: What Tax Preparers Need to Know” that explains what volunteer tax preparers, outreach partners and others need to know about the Affordable Care Act to complete 2015 tax returns and to assist low-income tax clients.
View slide deck PDF.
Watch the Webinar
What is the Premium Tax Credit?
Definition of the premium tax credit (PTC)
Determining if a Tax Return is in Scope
- Alternative calculation for the year of marriage (video section, slides)
- Shared policy allocations (video section, slides)
Example: Single filer, partial year coverage
- Reconciling the PTC: Form 8962
- Exemptions: Form 8965
- Calculating the shared responsibility payment for months uninsured
- PowerPoint Presentation | Download PPT slides
- ACA: What Tax Preparers Need to Know Webinar Series | View series